Everyday after showering in the morning I pull out my regular deodorant that I have used for years. I’ve been using the unscented kind because I cannot stand the any of the smells they have on the market wafting up to my nose every day from my armpits.
It never dawned on my that my deodorant has all these unhealthy ingredients that enter my body, duh! So I began researching using natural deodorants and ran across this article on wellnessmama.com about how to detox your armpits.
“Why Armpit Detox?
Conventional deodorants and anti-perspirants contain a variety of chemicals and additives. It takes something un-natural to block the body’s natural ability to sweat, and the chemical list in some deodorants is impressive:
Aluminum– some evidence links aluminum to cancer and Alzheimer’s Disease
Phthalates– Endocrine disruptors often also found in plastic that can cause hormone imbalance and even infertility (especially in med)
Propylene glycol– common name: antifreeze. It is a hotly debated additive in personal care products but the Environmental Working Group reports that it carries a moderate risk of immunotoxicity and allergies.
Formaldehyde– a known carcinogen… guess it kills the germs though.
Parabens– Another hormone disruptor and parabens have been found in biopsied tissue with breast cancer
Antibacterial Substances– they are endocrine disruptors and can negatively affect the immune system.
Why is this a big deal? Ever gotten sick and had a lump in your neck or armpit? That is a lymph node and they are a major part of your immune system. Putting endocrine disruption chemicals directly on top of them is a great way to screw up your hormones and suppress immune function.
The skin is the body’s largest organ and what touches our skin can easily enter our bloodstream. With skyrocketing rates of breast cancer, it would seem prudent to avoid these chemicals until further research is done.
A great advantage to doing an armpit detox, besides that it helps speed up the natural deodorant adjustment period, is that it might help pull some of these chemicals out of the skin and tissue of the armpits. This can be especially helpful after years of conventional deodorant use.
How to Detox Your Arm Pits
- 1 tablespoon bentonite clay
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons of water (to get right consistency)
- Mix all of the ingredients in a glass bowl (do not use metal!) with a wooden or non-metal spoon until about the consistency of sour cream.
- Spread in an even layer over the armpits and allow to sit for 5-20 minutes. I suggest starting slowly and working up to a longer period of time once you see how your body adjust. If it hurts at all, remove immediately.
- This may cause some redness as it will increase blood-flow to the area, but it will go away quickly.
- Wash off in the shower or with a warm, wet washcloth.
- Repeat daily or as needed until under-arm odor goes away and natural deodorant is non-irritating.”
I’ll be trying this armpit detox and then starting to use natural ingredients under my arms from now on. You can find more on this subject at wellnessmama.com.